The internet is full of fabulous fun facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and peppermint patty fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided that when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with you, our readers, in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Peppermint Patty fun facts.
Peppermint Patty Fun Facts: A peppermint patty is a confection made with a rich, creamy peppermint filling covered in semisweet chocolate.
- The York Cone Company, which was based in Pennsylvania and originally produced ice cream cones, invented the York Peppermint Pattie in 1940.
- Many chocolate-covered peppermints had been made before the York Peppermint Pattie came on the market, but Kessler’s version was firm and crisp, while the competition was soft. A former employee and York resident Phil Kollin remembered the final (sample) test the pattie went through before it left the factory. “It was a snap test. If the candy didn’t break clean in the middle, it was a second.
- The York Peppermint Pattie was acquired by Hershey’s in 1998.
- Peppermint Patties were sold only in northeastern states until 1975.
- February 11th is National Peppermint Patty Day.
- Patricia “Peppermint Patty” Reichardt is a fictional character featured in Charles M. Schulz’s comic strip Peanuts. A tomboy, she is one of a small group in the strip who lives across town from Charlie Brown and his school friends.
Recipe: Homemade Peppermint Patties
Peppermint Patty Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any peppermint patty fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about the Peppermint Patty
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.