The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and piña colada fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Piña Colada fun facts.
Pina Colada Fun Facts: The piña colada (Spanish: piña, pineapple + colada, strained) is a sweet, rum-based cocktail made with rum, coconut cream, and pineapple juice, usually served either blended or shaken with ice. It may be garnished with a pineapple wedge, a maraschino cherry or both.
- The piña colada was created on August 16, 1954 at the Caribe Hilton’s Beachcomber Bar in San Juan, Puerto Rico by its alleged creator, Ramón “Monchito” Marrero. Apparently, the hotel management had expressly requested Monchito to mix a new signature drink that would delight the demanding palates of its star-studded clientele. Monchito accepted the challenge, and after three intense months of blending, shaking and experimenting, the first piña colada was born.
- The piña colada has been the official beverage of Puerto Rico since 1978.
- Amaretto colada — amaretto substituted for rum
- Belizean piña colada — evaporated milk (e.g., PET Evaporated Milk) instead of coconut cream
- Caribou Lou – Malibu Rum, pineapple juice and 151 rum
- Iguana Colada – piña colada with Midori
- Kahlúa Colada — substitute Kahlua for the rum
- King Henry or Chi Chi — vodka substituted for rum
- Lava Flow — strawberry daiquiri and piña colada blended together
- Miami Vice — 1/2 strawberry daiquiri poured over 1/2 piña colada (use frozen versions of each, and do not blend together)
- Staten Island Ferry — coconut rum and pineapple juice over ice
- Jackolada – Add 1/2 part Jack Daniels
- Virgin piña colada or piñita colada — without the rum
- July 10th is National Piña Colada Day.
Piña Colada Fun Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Piña Coladas.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.