The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and pineapple fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Pineapple fun facts.
Pineapple Fun Facts: The pineapple is a tropical plant with edible multiple fruit consisting of coalesced berries, and the most economically significant plant in the Bromeliaceae family.
- Pineapples can be consumed fresh, cooked, juiced, and preserved, and are found in a wide array of cuisines.
- April 20th is National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day.
- It takes almost 3 years for a single pineapple to reach maturation.
- The word “pineapple” in English was first recorded in 1398, when it was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones).
- Raw pineapple is an excellent source of manganese (76% daily value) in a one US cup serving) and vitamin C (131% DV per cup serving).
- The first pineapple to be successfully cultivated in Europe, is said to have been grown by Pieter de la Court at Meerburg in 1658.
- Once harvested, pineapples don’t continue to ripen.
Pineapple Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed any pineapple fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Pineapples.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.