The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and taffy fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Taffy Fun Facts.
Taffy Fun Facts: Taffy is made from a mixture of corn syrup, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and water with a little salt. Food coloring as well as flavoring and citric acid may also be added.
- Salt water taffy was “invented” in Atlantic City in 1883.
- Many manufacturers claim David Bradley was one of the first sellers of the candy. A huge storm hit Atlantic City and flooded the boardwalk. Bradley’s store was flooded and the ocean water soaked his entire stock of taffy. In one account, a young girl asked if the store still had taffy for sale. Bradley jokingly told the girl to grab some “salt water taffy.”
- May 23rd is National Taffy Day.
- Modern technology allows confectioners to produce 1,000 pieces of taffy a minute.
- In one hour enough pieces of taffy are made to cover one third of the length of Atlantic City (about 1.3 miles).
- The three most popular taffy flavors sold by Sweet Candy Company are peppermint, cinnamon and chocolate.
Taffy Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any Taffy Fun Facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Taffy.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.