The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and tortilla fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Tortilla Fun Facts.
Tortilla Fun Facts: In Mexico and Central America, a tortilla is a type of thin, unleavened flat bread, made from finely ground maize (corn).
- The word tortilla comes from the Spanish word“torta” which means round cake.
- In Guatemala and Mexico, there are three colors of maize dough for making tortillas: white maize, yellow maize and blue maize (or black maize).
- February 24th is National Tortilla Chip Day.
- The typical Mexican family of four consumes more than 2 pounds of tortillas each day.
Traditional dishes made with tortillas:
- Tacos: where the tortilla is used as a sandwich.
- Enchiladas: where the filling is rolled in tortilla then coated with sauce and cooked in an oven.
- Chilaquiles: thin fried strips of tortilla coated with sauce and cooked in an oven.
- Quesadillas: tortilla is filled folded into turnovers and then fried.
- Mexican breakfast: fried eggs on fried tortillas garnished with tomatoes, crushed red pepers and avocado slices.
Tortilla Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any tortilla fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Tortillas.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.