The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and turnover fun facts. As we conduct research for our daily content, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in a new section titled “Did You Know?”.
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Turnover fun facts.
Turnover Fun Facts: A turnover is a type of pastry made by placing a filling on a piece of dough, folding the dough over, and sealing it. Turnovers can be sweet or savory and are often made as a sort of portable meal or dessert, similar to a sandwich.
- Turnovers originated in ancient times and are classified as “portable pies.”
- Common turnovers fillings include fruits such as apples, blueberries and cherries, meats like chicken, beef and pork, vegetables such as sweet potatoes, and savory ingredients like cheese.
Here is a list of just a few turnover choices to make and enjoy:
- Beerocks (German) — Filled with cabbage and meat
- Calzones (Italian) — Filled with tomato sauce, meat and cheese
- Dim Sum (Chinese) — Filled with meat, fish or vegetables
- Empanadas (Spanish-speaking countries) — Filled with sweet potatoes and meats
- Pastelillos (Puerto Rican and Caribbean) — Filled with meat, onions, raisins, capers and egg
- Pasties (Cornish miners from England) — Filled with potatoes, vegetables and ground meat
- Pastelitos Fritos (Brazillian) — Fried turnovers with meat and cheese
- Pierogies (Polish) — Filled with potatoes, vegetables or fruit
- Saltena (South American) — Typical meat pies
- Samosas (India) — Filled with chick peas, potatoes and spices
- Sanbousic (Middle Eastern) — Filled with cheese and dill
- Spanokopitas (Greek) — Filled with spinach, cottage cheese, feta cheese and olives
- July 5th is National Apple Turnover Day.
- August 28 is National Cherry Turnover Day.
Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any turnover fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Turnovers.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.