In a recent email we received from one of our readers (a new food truck vendor in Southern California), we were asked what a vendor can do to engage customers and market their food truck on social media outside of standard location update of Tweet. Now, we’ve covered this topic over the years but the tone of the message had an air of desperation, so we put together this quick list of social media engagement ideas for them.
Most food truck vendors we’ve spoken with have had a tough time finding their voice over social media. You don’t have enough time in your busy day to have to worry about what your next Facebook update or Tweet will consist of. Feel free to use these social media engagement ideas, and edit them for your own mobile food business.
Social Media Engagement Ideas For Food Truck Vendors
- City of (your city); tell us why you decided to live in (your city). The best answer gets a free entree from our truck. picked up at their convenience
- This weekend we are going to be (insert location) bring a friend, mention this message and you both get a free gift. There’s no telling what it might be. Here’s a pic from the last time we did this.
- Wednesday nights are the slowest time of the week for us. Find us on Wednesday night, mention this post for a 10% discount off your order.
- Love meeting local celebrities? Visit us Thursday to meet our own (someone locally famous or popular). They will be signing autographs for all of our truck customers and we will be providing a free sample of one of our upcoming menu items to each visitor.
- Find us on Friday between 11 and 2 to get a free side salad with your lunch order.
- Our new marketing program is sending out an email tonight for next week’s summer menu. Make sure to sign up to get a discount.
- We’ll be at the humane society on Sunday to help promote the pets they have for adoption. Come on down, we’d love to see you, even if you can’t adopt.
- We are participating at the city farmer’s market. Come on down to see what we have cooked up special with produce from the farmers.
- Save 5% every time you bring a friend to truck with you. Friends get 5% off, too.
- When you show up to check in to our loyalty program you’ll start receiving discounts right away. Remember, you have to visit to start though.
- Monday nights we are not open. We know it’s sad, but we are around town the rest of the week and look forward to seeing you!
Other Social Media Suggestions For Your Food Truck
- Post updates often. This means, multiple times a day. Even if your truck isn’t on the street.
- Keep customers informed. Your customers like to hear about interesting happenings in your business and all of the small nuances of running a food truck business. The more you connect with them, the more they will find your food truck.
- Learn who your customers are. Build relationships with everyone who comes to your service window, ask them questions, be social and have fun.
- Be visual. Share pictures, people love Instagram right now, be there, and post pictures often!
The Bottom Line
The point of these social media engagement ideas is that you have are enticing customers to make a special stop at your truck, this is often done with a special, a free gift, a discount or something else special. The more creative, and specific you are, the more likely it is to work. These are just a small list of ideas we came up with to get you started.
We hope these social media engagement ideas help free up a little time in your day to concentrate on other aspects of your food truck business. We’d love to hear any social media engagement ideas you’ve had success with. Share your thoughts in the comment section or on social media. Facebook | Twitter